Tagged: roadtrip

0

On the road again

I had big intentions in December to do a road trip to Florida to surprise my parents for Christmas. In the Covid Era of the moment a flying trip for either myself or my sister’s family was out of the question. Things changed quickly when I actually found myself in the process of possibly buying a house. The inspections would have taken place during my road trip so I had to stay home. Things changed directions on that house and then January rolled around and I found myself with still more time off and so why not try again to head to Florida. Well – things changed again suddenly and as I watched the weather forecast it seemed wisest to keep my travels closer to home to I figured I would head to the Salton Sea and who knows where else …. I spent the first night at my good friend’s house Eric & Roz in Merced, Ca. I’m in an RV so in light of the Covid restrictions I stayed in my RV in the drive of course and met with them briefly outside. It was great to see them and for them to finally get to meet the new pup Jazzy. I headed to the Salton Sea – why the Salton Sea? Well in the winter the weather is perfect! It gets up to maybe 70-75 in the day ( a little warm for me) but the evening makes up for that when it generally drops to 40 or 50 degrees. I found out about the Salton Sea last year when I ventured to Joshua Tree National Park. I found Joshua Tree just OK – dogs on leashes and not allowed anywhere besides specific paths. As far as I was concerned what was the point. I stayed in...

0

My Experience at the Canadian Border March 2020

I had originally planned to pick up Jazzy in mid April. I was sure the weather would be right by then and it would give me adequate time to plan a trip of that magnitude. The Covid-19 thing caused everyone to modify their lifestyle and plans and this trip was no exception. I had word that the Canadian Border would be closing down to non-essential travel. I didn’t have the exact date just that it would be happening. Initially I thought I would need to postpone picking up Jazzy for a few months but my co-worker urged me to drop everything and go NOW!! I am so glad he did this. Monday the 16th of March 2020 he gave me the advice. I had to work Tuesday the 17th but I left by Weds the 18th starting late in the afternoon. I was prepared. I had renewed Zulu’s shots just to be safe for the border crossing questions. I had all my documents ready; proof of insurance, road side insurance, proof of payment for Jazzy (I had to pay for her shots before pick up). … I had read of others experiences at t eh border and felt very prepared for any questions or concerns regarding my entry. Coincidentally, I had just accomplished the needed oil change, upgraded my headlights to led, insulated the RV walls and under my bed with bubble-wrap to help keep me warm in the more drastic elements. I was preparing for the trip in April but really, I was already prepared so there was really no reason to not leave at once! The next posting will be my video of the trip it is about 20 minutes long but very fast paced and enjoyable to watch if you have interest in experiencing travelling cross country...

0

Road trip to Canada to pick up new family member.

Saying goodbye to Sky was no fun of course but I knew the time would come at some point. Having two dogs is a great thing and I have not wanted Zulu to be on his own for too long. Last year during one of our road trips we had encountered a breed I had never heard of, the English Shepherd. Zulu seems to bond with the herding breeds quickly and had made a quick and fun playmate with an English Shepherd during that trip. I decided then, that after Sky and I said our good-byes I would see if I could find an English Shepherd. I found one close by in a rescue group but there were a number of applicants and the process and questions lead me to believe I would not be a worthy candidate. (No yard, living on a boat and RV etc) It was suggested to me that I join a facebook English Shepherd Re-homing group and that’s where I found the new addition to our family. Jazzie was located in Outram, Saskatchewan Canada which is barely over the border from North Dakota. On Facebook there were a number of people interested in adopting Jazzie but most of the comments were based on her distance or not having a passport etc. I private messaged the owner and told her I have a passport and will drive up and pick her up. I sent her money for the Rabies and health certificate which finalised the deal. Based on my work schedule and weather prospects we planned on me coming to pick her up in mid-April. Things all changed with the Coronavirus issues sweeping the world. Border shutdowns were immanent and I thought I would have to delay the trip severely by a couple of months. One...

%d bloggers like this: